Can we get an Update on the Publisher thing?

News and announcements regarding Anima Beyond Fantasy RPG books.
Fearless Elbow

Re: Can we get an Update on the Publisher thing?

Mensaje por Fearless Elbow » 01 Abr 2018 21:56

This is... unexpected. I mean it’s awesome that something’s happening, but I too would kind of like Core Exxet, Gaia II and the other planned books before we do another reboot.

Also, it won’t make much difference if there isn’t an English publisher. There’ll just be more books that we can’t get.

It’s like having cake, but only being able to watch the French- and Spanish-speaking cake-lovers eat it.

So dieting but with extreme cake envy.

I may have overdone the cake analogy.
Banthor

Mensaje por Banthor » 02 Abr 2018 04:44

I'm fine with a 3rd edition Base book so long as it includes the Core Exxet updates and the release of a Gaia Volume II is expedited. Gaia Volume II's failure to get an English release before the license dropped (or whatever it was) continues to be a sore point. Core Exxet was passable due to people getting out the key mechanical changes rather quickly as improvised errata.

I've held out hope, until now, that maybe the Anima Team would throw English fans a bone and release Gaia II in English as a bare-bones pdf with some maps (maybe) via DriveThruRPG.
Gaia Volume 2 translation progress report : It's done. Want to cry in a blanket burrito now.
RegnierLoT

Mensaje por RegnierLoT » 02 Abr 2018 07:53

Changes of the new edition:
  1. The D100 is replaced by D10. Although they promise backward compatibility
    It unifies defense and dodges in a single skill, but you can choose whether to base it on DEX or AGi.
    The secondaries change slightly.
    Some classes merge into one, like dark paladin and paladin
    Only there are 3 accumulations of ki that are sums of 2 characteristics, Body (STR and CON) Soul (WIL and POW and INT) (DEX + AGI). If you only accumulate and do nothing more that assault, +2 accumulations.
    Ki techniques change, now they are cheaper but worse, but much more customizable than before.
    The magic follows in a very similar way, although the novelty of the arcane points is introduced, very difficult points to recover but allow to make magic more powerful.
    The creation path changes for the worse
    The mentalism changes so much that Carlos did not want to explain it.
    The call changes, it is more limited to the things that can be invoked according to the level. Invocations improve according to the level of the character, not his skill figure
    The creatures with damage accumulation now have a base defense value instead of eating the attacks squarely, but they do not throw defense dice. If your defense is exceeded by a certain number, you can double or triple the damage done to them.
Fearless Elbow

Mensaje por Fearless Elbow » 02 Abr 2018 09:04

RegnierLoT escribió:Changes of the new edition:
Firstly, WOW!! 0_0
RegnierLoT escribió:
That’s disappointing. Not enough variety with a D10.
RegnierLoT escribió:It unifies defense and dodges in a single skill, but you can choose whether to base it on DEX or AGi.
Seems fair enough. I quite like the subtle differences between the two before, but this will be simpler.
RegnierLoT escribió:The secondaries change slightly.
That’s vague enough that I’ll reserve judgment until I’ve seen it.
RegnierLoT escribió:Some classes merge into one, like dark paladin and paladin
Sounds fair enough. I never understood why Dark Paladin was a separate class anyway. If I were to take a wild guess, the others to go would be Acrobatic Warrior (merged into Warrior), Shadow (maybe merged into Warrior or Ranger? ... which would be a pity) and maybe some kind of merger between Thief and Assassin.
RegnierLoT escribió:Only there are 3 accumulations of ki that are sums of 2 characteristics, Body (STR and CON) Soul (WIL and POW and INT) (DEX + AGI). If you only accumulate and do nothing more that assault, +2 accumulations.
Hmmm... I’m not sure about this. I liked the old Ki system.
RegnierLoT escribió:Ki techniques change, now they are cheaper but worse, but much more customizable than before.
So Magic will be just way more powerful than everything else then? Like certain other RPGs used to suffer from, by high levels the combat classes will just be meat-shields and bag-carriers for the Wizards. That’s disappointing.
RegnierLoT escribió:The magic follows in a very similar way, although the novelty of the arcane points is introduced, very difficult points to recover but allow to make magic more powerful.
I’ll reserve judgment on the Arcane Points, but I personally thought magic was plenty powerful enough, thank you very much.
RegnierLoT escribió:The creation path changes for the worse
It probably needed a bit of nerfing.
RegnierLoT escribió:The mentalism changes so much that Carlos did not want to explain it.
Probably a good thing, though if he changes are that drastic, the backwards-compatibility pledge is really going to be tested.
RegnierLoT escribió:The call changes, it is more limited to the things that can be invoked according to the level. Invocations improve according to the level of the character, not his skill figure
I’d have to see the details, but that could be quite difficult to balance. If the Summoner can pull out some crazy crap purely based on his level without having to invest Primary points, then they could get a bit broken.
RegnierLoT escribió:The creatures with damage accumulation now have a base defense value instead of eating the attacks squarely, but they do not throw defense dice. If your defense is exceeded by a certain number, you can double or triple the damage done to them.[/list]
I’m fine with that.
Banthor

Mensaje por Banthor » 02 Abr 2018 19:43

RegnierLoT escribió:Changes of the new edition:
    It unifies defense and dodges in a single skill, but you can choose whether to base it on DEX or AGi.
    The secondaries change slightly.
    Some classes merge into one, like dark paladin and paladin
    Only there are 3 accumulations of ki that are sums of 2 characteristics, Body (STR and CON) Soul (WIL and POW and INT) (DEX + AGI). If you only accumulate and do nothing more that assault, +2 accumulations.
    Ki techniques change, now they are cheaper but worse, but much more customizable than before.
    The magic follows in a very similar way, although the novelty of the arcane points is introduced, very difficult points to recover but allow to make magic more powerful.
    The creation path changes for the worse
    The mentalism changes so much that Carlos did not want to explain it.
    The call changes, it is more limited to the things that can be invoked according to the level. Invocations improve according to the level of the character, not his skill figure
    The creatures with damage accumulation now have a base defense value instead of eating the attacks squarely, but they do not throw defense dice. If your defense is exceeded by a certain number, you can double or triple the damage done to them.
-Immediately disgusted at a d10 system. I guess it simplifies the damage table math, but it ruins the magic of Open Rolls.
-Secondaries...meh.
-Dodge/Block merge: I liked that these were mechanically different, but I can at least see the reasoning.
-Class merging: Necessary if dodge/block are merging. Most important aspect of the Paladin was Social.
-Ki Accumulations: So basically a middle point between the Unified Ki/Innate Power and Base Book System. eh.
-Techniques: Already A LOT of customization. Dominus Exxet even has effectively a GM discretion excerpt for things PCs may want outside the enormous list provided.
-Magic: Didn't need help. It's fine and Arcane Points sound like the terrible Sorcerer Points from 5e but with more strings attached.
-Creation Path: Eh, its fine if its about the same up to path level 50 or so. The Chimera nonsense needed reined in though...
-Mentalism and Summoning: Can't say with so little details. I like Summoning as it is with all the different styles of play it can have. I guess some level scaling wouldn't be bad for some of the stuff though.

I'm all for trimming some fat, but at the same time I'm terribly against "5th Editioning" the game (simplification replacing mechanical "crunch" with "fluff").
Gaia Volume 2 translation progress report : It's done. Want to cry in a blanket burrito now.
Fearless Elbow

Mensaje por Fearless Elbow » 02 Abr 2018 20:56

Ironically I like 5e a lot more than 3, 3.5 or 4e, for exactly the reason that it is so easily playable. But it and Anima are my two main RPGs of choice for entirely different reasons.

While I love 5e’s easy playability, I also love that Anima is so detailed, complex and opaque and lets me explore my (not-very-well-) hidden numbers-nerd. However, I’ll readily admit that this is utterly selfish and if you’re looking to expand your customer base, streamlining playability has to be an objective.

Let’s be honest - there can’t be many players for whom Anima is their first system. Its demographics will be almost exclusively established, hardcore gamers who love the level of detail, elegance of the mechanics, depth of lore and exceptional game balance.
LuciaVincent

Mensaje por LuciaVincent » 02 Abr 2018 22:00

It's likely that this is because of FFG technically owning the rights to the system, as opposed to the Lore and whatnot. I'm just happy that my favorite game is going to continue and will hold judgement until the dust settles.
Banthor

Mensaje por Banthor » 02 Abr 2018 22:11

LuciaVincent escribió:It's likely that this is because of FFG technically owning the rights to the system, as opposed to the Lore and whatnot. I'm just happy that my favorite game is going to continue and will hold judgement until the dust settles.
I guess that's a thing that can happen. Can't be sure if that's actually the case. In regards to the game coming back itself, as an English gamer, I'm mostly waiting to see who the publisher will be this time around.
Fearless Elbow

Mensaje por Fearless Elbow » 02 Abr 2018 23:22

LuciaVincent escribió:It's likely that this is because of FFG technically owning the rights to the system, as opposed to the Lore and whatnot. I'm just happy that my favorite game is going to continue and will hold judgement until the dust settles.
How can this be the case? The game was released in Spanish first, and FFG weren’t the publisher for the Spanish and French releases.

It’s like John Logie Baird inventing television and then someone else claiming they own the patent for television in Dutch or Swahili or something.
Banthor

Mensaje por Banthor » 02 Abr 2018 23:29

Fearless Elbow escribió:
How can this be the case? The game was released in Spanish first, and FFG weren’t the publisher for the Spanish and French releases.

It’s like John Logie Baird inventing television and then someone else claiming they own the patent for television in Dutch or Swahili or something.
Somewhat my thought. Anima has been stated as being similar to certain systems but none of them tied to Fantasy Flight. Now there's the possibility of the devs wanting to tiptoe around the old system just so Fantasy Flight won't go for the "we're going to hold you up in court until you go bankrupt from legal fees" move that companies do to throw their weight around.
Responder