Anima Tactics Video Game?

For anything else that you want to talk!
Reideen

Anima Tactics Video Game?

Mensaje por Reideen » 25 Jun 2018 17:39

Okay so we've had a Metroidvania Style Ark of Sinners and we've had Action-Adventure-Style Gate of Memories.
What I've wondered is - why not make a Tactics-RPG-style AT-Game?

If they can do a game like Gate of Memories, it shouldn't be a problem to make a tactics rpg, right?
With online multiplayer it would also help reinvigorate the AT-scene and help people find opponents.
You could even bring storyline dlc's for different factions and organisations.

And if the idea is to bring AT back to life, playtesting ideas could be really easy with the whole community involved. I'm a bit tired to play against the same people over and over again, because you usally know their behavior and something like this would really fire me up again.
TheMunkis

Re: Anima Tactics Video Game?

Mensaje por TheMunkis » 26 Jun 2018 12:20

I love this idea and have talked to a friend of mine about something similar in the past. The game design can pretty much be ripped 1:1 from Anima Tactics. Hardest parts (other than actually getting the netcode to work) would be to have the game identify battlefield conditions and to set up event triggers for reactions.

The first problem includes identifying LoS, measuring movement uphill or through various terrain, climbing up surfaces and standing in precarious positions like on top of chimneys. LoS would likely need a bit of raycasting, though the rest can be solved by predefining landscape features with ways to interact with them. Like defining if a wall is scaleable or not, and whether you can stand on top of a pillar or not.

The second has been solved by many card game clients, and would basically include every event checking if someone can react to that particular event, and if so, pause to ask the player.

Programming aside, I can see so much potential for this. At the smallest scale it would just be an online client for Anima Tactics which could still do wonders for drumming up interest in the game, but it could also have a grander story mode where we'd be able to play through the upcoming world war or any other interesting scenario added. Imagine something akin to a Total War campaign, but with AT skirmishes instead of large scale armies battling. With mod support players could create their own characters and scenarios which Carlos could incorporate into the world or the game if he likes them enough, or maybe players could even create new game modes. I could certainly see the game being tweaked into a cooperative Dungeon Delving game similar to Gloomhaven or Descent with a bit of work. A digital version of Tactics would be great to test such things out.

Sadly I find such a game unlikely seeing that Carlos development team is incredibly small, as he is struggling to revive all the various parts of the franchise at once, and as many fans might be wary of future kickstarters from him. Especially video game kickstarters.
Reideen

Mensaje por Reideen » 27 Jun 2018 09:01

Yeah I know, though I believe that - at least at one point - AT was the most valuable subgame in the Anima Series.
I think that Carlos made a mistake in letting it slide into unconciousness. Now it will be hard to peak interest in the game again with just new minis. Thats why I think that a game like this could revive things. But all in due time, I guess...
lizvne

Mensaje por lizvne » 02 Jul 2018 05:40

Reideen escribió:
25 Jun 2018 17:39
Okay so we've had a Metroidvania Style Ark of Sinners and we've had Action-Adventure-Style Gate of Memories.
Well, actually we have only Gate of Memories. Ark of Sinners was released on a quite limited platforms choice. I'd gladly kickstart it for a more reasonable platforms.
made a mistake in letting it slide into unconciousness. Now it will be hard to peak interest in the game again with just new minis.
Yeah, because beside new minis old ones have to be balanced properly. AT metagame favoured heavily Empire and Wissenschaft, most of the time game resorted to "bandaid miniature" tactics and event the most recent updates were quite cosmetic ones, even if the cost changes were quite good most of the time.

Yes, Empire was considered quite weak in Saga I, but instead addressing this issue Lilith was released, overall good leader with decent stats and bloody 4 AP recovery, at only 75 points cost. Which I consider to be almost personal insult as balancewise extra APr is about 20 points worth alone, and by her stats she is nowhere to 55 points cost.
Another notable example is Valis, who had literal "fuck you" Nux ability which affected enemies automatically and crippled them, as AT was an Action Points management game. And yeah, only chance to avoid this ability was to stay away, unlike similar abilities like Morrigan's slow aura even level differences won't help. As a cherry on top, she don't even have to be a leader..

Two above are the most notable cases of game developer favouritism, when everything just goes to hell, but there are lots of smaller examples as well.

So I hope Anima Tactics Saga (which is the AT Reboot supposed name according to discussion with Carlos on reddit) will address these issues first, as it is hard to attract people in the game with texts like "As Azur Alliance you field powerful Arbiters with a stealthy prowlers.. bad for you Stealth mechanics is quite bad and most likely you will encounter Lilith or Valis, who will reveal your prowlers.. so better resort to Ligori".
TheMunkis escribió:
26 Jun 2018 12:20
many fans might be wary of future kickstarters from him. Especially video game kickstarters.
Not sure about everyone, but I will support next kickstarter whatever it would be. Well, almost whatever.
Imagen
Superhero

Mensaje por Superhero » 02 Jul 2018 10:53

I wouldn't mind supporting Anima new video game, as long as it add also some more lore to the book line too, which shouldn't be an issue.
dunnoww

Mensaje por dunnoww » 02 Jul 2018 12:15

lizvne escribió:
02 Jul 2018 05:40
[...] Anima Tactics Saga (which is the AT Reboot supposed name according to discussion with Carlos on reddit) [...]
Is it a new confirmation or the one he said years ago? Sadly, I don't think AT is coming back anytime soon. :( Especially that Carlos wants to focus on new books instead (which would be a good thing for the RPG, of course).
lizvne

Mensaje por lizvne » 02 Jul 2018 13:26

One from years ago, sadly.
Imagen
lizvne

Mensaje por lizvne » 06 Jul 2018 07:44

lizvne escribió:
02 Jul 2018 05:40
Two above are the most notable cases of game developer favouritism, when everything just goes to hell, but there are lots of smaller examples as well.
Sorry, forgot about this one, notable as well:
Around Saga II Samael was considered a broken faction due to a specific team based on Dinah who was buffed by fellow team members (Sophia, Janiel, etc) and spammed barrage of shots through her wings. As Dinah have only 3 AP, part of her support team were mystics with Transfer Rods. Some time later this issue was addressed, and Transfer Rod was changed, it ceased t be Reactive, thus it could only be activated during individual miniature activation phase, not on Dinah phase.

Time passed and at the end of edition we saw this:
http://atoracle.wikidot.com/en-gear-mk-trithemius
Yeah, pre-patch Transfer Rod, Wissenschaft version for your shooty Grimorium. While some people argued that Grimorium or other Gears are not equal to Dinah, it still should be noted that "we resurrected transfer rod, but only for wiss gears" looks quite bad form the community side. Without even touching the "buy our expensive Gear models" subject.

There is a line between "each faction have it's shticks" and "developer's favouritism" (quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi), and sadly AT failed to not cross it.
Imagen
TimothySlees

Anima Tactics Video Game

Mensaje por TimothySlees » 03 Feb 2019 02:59

Often enough or not, do I see a riddle or word play game in a forum. So I thought to start one. Ill be posting a riddle in this thread, and anyone can answer it below. Feel free to post your own riddles and etc.

1st:You look to the stars and you see the past, where is the future in space?

2nd:
HenryBob

Anima Tactics Video Game

Mensaje por HenryBob » 17 Mar 2019 10:59

Bengals off to a quick 10-0 start on a Graham FG and Palmer TD pass to Washington. In other news the Colts lost their first game of the year.
Responder