Can we get an Update on the Publisher thing?

News and announcements regarding Anima Beyond Fantasy RPG books.
Artorian Runaan

Re: Can we get an Update on the Publisher thing?

Mensaje por Artorian Runaan » 06 May 2018 06:51

(Whew), I totally did manage to get that posted 'today" hah... at any rate, I've noticed that many a time Banthor. Google Translate can be surprisingly accurate for a couple languages, though it's far from perfect. It sucks for instance, with the Spanish he/she/it/they , since those are context dependent and sometimes the rest of the words around the offending word don't offer enough for the machine to figure that out :lol: .
Banthor

Mensaje por Banthor » 07 May 2018 00:46

Artorian Runaan escribió:
06 May 2018 06:51
(Whew), I totally did manage to get that posted 'today" hah... at any rate, I've noticed that many a time Banthor. Google Translate can be surprisingly accurate for a couple languages, though it's far from perfect. It sucks for instance, with the Spanish he/she/it/they , since those are context dependent and sometimes the rest of the words around the offending word don't offer enough for the machine to figure that out :lol: .
Yeah, the Spanish he/she/it/they issue is something I also see. I think my biggest gripe is that google translate regularly fails to translate on the account of capital letters so correcting the names of cities or titles is a constant (i'm assuming as a default it does not translate pronouns).
Gaia Volume 2 translation progress report : It's done. Want to cry in a blanket burrito now.
Rapier

Mensaje por Rapier » 11 May 2018 01:47

I realise we've moved onto wanting fan stats moved into English...

But I really hope that stuff about switching to D10 instead of D100 is dropped.

The D100 rolls in this game are beautiful - it's an amazingly elegant system for representing differing power levels. While allowing for luck to make a difference.

I just don't think D10's have enough granularity to recreate Anima.

This is my favourite system because I feel like the complexity really lets you model a fantasy world. There's loads of other game systems that do simplified and streamlined - I'm not really looking for that from Anima. (I'm not ever really looking for that to be honest - although I play a lot of systems at conventions; Anima is my stand out favourite, and nothing else is even close).

That said - changing psychic abilities I'm totally down with - I really like that anima did a great job of making the different supernatural paths feel different mechanically (Most "simple" systems make them mechanically almost identical -or actually identical). I really liked having clear different rules, that all worked well with the system (This will be harder to achieve if you reduce granularity with the D10 change).

The psychic system always felt both the easiest to game, and the least fleshed out. It's the system most often left out in the game's I've run mainly because I feel like it lacks character compared to the others (And I'm including Elan - which I would like to see fleshed out a lot more too).

I'm also fine with things like metamagic being dropped - I'd probably keep it in, but it did lead to some broken builds. Making it optional seems cool to me.

Summons being tied to character level - I dunno if I like this, I think the summon system is nice as is. That said - guidance on what level creatures you should be aiming at seems like it would be okay - and an optional rule to make it a requirement rather than a guide - although I of course, could optionally remove the rule if they add it.

I don't want to wait 5 years. :(
Superhero

Mensaje por Superhero » 11 May 2018 04:26

I like the d100 as well but willing to see how the d10 is going to play out.

We don't want to wait 5 years...but I don't expect a new book for probably at least 2 more years.
Artorian Runaan

Mensaje por Artorian Runaan » 11 May 2018 05:19

I think metamagics could have been a lot better if their use in setting was explained a bit more. Romeo has three spheres at Level 11, and Nerelas has five at Level 14, and that combined with metamagics being very rare (according to something I vaguely remember Light mentioning), means player builds with dozens of metamagics are completely unrealistic.

The problem is, nothing in the books say this is the case, so it leads to things where say, I let my players walk out with Superior Innate Spell, Double Innate Spell, and Double Spell to crap out an incredibly immersion breaking amount of magic. Triple points if you watch them take Bind Spells and try to fuse all four (six if you're lenient in letting Bind Spell happen to both spells in Double Spell) spells together into one massive and disgusting whole. So yeah, definitely looking forward to seeing how this Arcane Point system works out.

As for Summoners, I've made my feelings clear on the matter in another thread. Going by the setting, they're very weak individually and only get really strong when whole hordes of them work together. Since that's not explained however, the Level Limits are a good way to stop the whole thing about Level 3s summoning a Level 15 using a remote ritual circle while on the other side of the planet for safety. Best (worst) terrorist attack ever as the surrounding populace probably dies instantly to the angered creature.
Rapier

Mensaje por Rapier » 12 May 2018 02:35

Superhero escribió:
11 May 2018 04:26

We don't want to wait 5 years...but I don't expect a new book for probably at least 2 more years.

I think the core mechanics probably would work with D10.

The problem is some of the cool extra bits.

For example Anima is the only game I know of - where every weapon on the weapons table is actually different. it has enough moving parts since you roll a d100 - to let you have weapons at +65 or -150 and so on.

In most games the closest you can get to this is different armour type vs weapon types (which anima also has). In something like D&D the difference in weapons basically comes down too "Which has the best average damage or which has the best critical" Most of the weapon table is pointless and ignored.

In Anima I feel like you can pick any weapon - it's also really neat that super weapons can just scale with the same system - because it's broad enough to model everything. Also because of the many different builds you can do in Anima weapons aren't automatically better than other weapons. (Sometimes you can cheat the speed stat, sometimes you want the highest base damage - sometimes you need a weapon that can withstand higher breakage than normal).

It's cool. And not possible to do with only d10.
TheTeaMustFlow

Mensaje por TheTeaMustFlow » 12 May 2018 16:37

Rapier escribió:
12 May 2018 02:35
Superhero escribió:
11 May 2018 04:26

I think the core mechanics probably would work with D10.

The problem is some of the cool extra bits.

For example Anima is the only game I know of - where every weapon on the weapons table is actually different. it has enough moving parts since you roll a d100 - to let you have weapons at +65 or -150 and so on.

In most games the closest you can get to this is different armour type vs weapon types (which anima also has). In something like D&D the difference in weapons basically comes down too "Which has the best average damage or which has the best critical" Most of the weapon table is pointless and ignored.

In Anima I feel like you can pick any weapon - it's also really neat that super weapons can just scale with the same system - because it's broad enough to model everything. Also because of the many different builds you can do in Anima weapons aren't automatically better than other weapons. (Sometimes you can cheat the speed stat, sometimes you want the highest base damage - sometimes you need a weapon that can withstand higher breakage than normal).

It's cool. And not possible to do with only d10.
That doesn't much argue against cutting the dice and numbers down - it just argues you should go to a d20 rather than a d10. Almost everything in anima works on multiples of 5, even the really weird stuff. And everything that doesn't would still work if it were made to.
Rapier

Mensaje por Rapier » 13 May 2018 03:36

TheTeaMustFlow escribió:
12 May 2018 16:37

That doesn't much argue against cutting the dice and numbers down - it just argues you should go to a d20 rather than a d10. Almost everything in anima works on multiples of 5, even the really weird stuff. And everything that doesn't would still work if it were made to.

Well - switching to a d20 might give you the same number of meaningful dice results. Given that for the most part you only look at multiples of 5.

Off the top of my head- it would make fumbles worse (since they're less than 5% currently).

I also feel like decreasing the gradients in the skills would make them simplified beyond where they are now - but possibly not too much to still be fun?

The d10 is half the current number of results on most things - and I feel like that would be too much of a downgrade to the system to countenance.

Also would character classes need changing significantly? currently skills are paid at 3/2/1 costs - but if you were doing everything in a d20 how would you change that? Or are you looking to make characters generally more/less skilful than in the current rules?
TheTeaMustFlow

Mensaje por TheTeaMustFlow » 13 May 2018 13:20

Rapier escribió:
13 May 2018 03:36

Off the top of my head- it would make fumbles worse (since they're less than 5% currently).
Certainly, but that's about the only case, and I don't think it would be too bad to have fumbles on a roll of 1. Maybe have them totally disappear at mastery to compensate.
I also feel like decreasing the gradients in the skills would make them simplified beyond where they are now - but possibly not too much to still be fun?
That greater detail doesn't really do anything now, so I feel you wouldn't lose much. And frankly, secondary abilities are probably the weakest bit of the system as it stands, so they could do with a shake up anyway.
The d10 is half the current number of results on most things - and I feel like that would be too much of a downgrade to the system to countenance.
On that I agree - I've never got on very well with pure d10 systems (as opposed to things like Feng Shui, which use d10s but do something more with them). I don't think it would ruin the game or anything, but I think it's a bit too far.
Also would character classes need changing significantly? currently skills are paid at 3/2/1 costs - but if you were doing everything in a d20 how would you change that? Or are you looking to make characters generally more/less skilful than in the current rules?
You could just keep the costs the same, and have 1 point in d20 Anima translate to 5 points in d100 Anima (so effectively, you're just making everyone buy secondaries 5 points at a time). Again, you'd lose a bit of granularity, but I don't see that said granularity is actually worth much - I don't think I've ever even seen a character who had a secondary value not divisible by 5.

That said, character classes and secondaries definitely need some changes made anyway, so I probably wouldn't just try to translate the current system exactly. But you basically could.
Banthor

Mensaje por Banthor » 13 May 2018 17:39

TheTeaMustFlow escribió:
13 May 2018 13:20
Rapier escribió:
13 May 2018 03:36

Certainly, but that's about the only case, and I don't think it would be too bad to have fumbles on a roll of 1. Maybe have them totally disappear at mastery to compensate.
That greater detail doesn't really do anything now, so I feel you wouldn't lose much. And frankly, secondary abilities are probably the weakest bit of the system as it stands, so they could do with a shake up anyway.
On that I agree - I've never got on very well with pure d10 systems (as opposed to things like Feng Shui, which use d10s but do something more with them). I don't think it would ruin the game or anything, but I think it's a bit too far.
You could just keep the costs the same, and have 1 point in d20 Anima translate to 5 points in d100 Anima (so effectively, you're just making everyone buy secondaries 5 points at a time). Again, you'd lose a bit of granularity, but I don't see that said granularity is actually worth much - I don't think I've ever even seen a character who had a secondary value not divisible by 5.

That said, character classes and secondaries definitely need some changes made anyway, so I probably wouldn't just try to translate the current system exactly. But you basically could.
Already spoken my part on the the roll system. As for class changes, I'm only okay with them cleaning up the fighter archetypes, especially warrior and merging paladin and dark paladin. Merging the paladins I'm merely okay with because the only reason them seem to be separate is because they didn't want to give a class too many 1 cost secondaries.

As for the secondaries being bad, that's fairly common for most TTRPG. My main issue with the one's in Anima is that I felt that there should have been more details for their applications at higher levels. I feel that every secondary (at least those in the base book) should have listed at least 1 or 2 silly things they could do at around the point of mastery and it be significant . Its unfortunate that many secondaries barely register except as requirements for Martial Arts.

Now for non-combat I can understand how some of the secondaries are doomed to be fairly mundane, but overall the secondaries section of the book should have been larger and more elaborated. The difficulty listings are nice, and I like rewarding creativity, but not all players are capable of the same level of creativity and having something concrete to use as a base is nice. For instance, Feats of Strength being used to throw large objects or smashing through walls instead of doing a base damage vs. damage barrier. Perfectly reasonable uses, but ones the player might have to argue for or the GM suggest as an option.

I think Anima's major strength with secondaries unlike some other systems is that there isn't a shortage of secondaries that can be used to tackle a problem. Faced with an obstacle, there's usually 3 or 4 secondaries capable of circumventing it and another 1 or 2 that can be creatively put to use against them. Not to mention the fact that characteristic checks provide a good solution to more disputable approaches. (I guess what I'm saying is that Anima is less "do we have the skills to solve this" and more "how do I use the skills I have to solve this")
Gaia Volume 2 translation progress report : It's done. Want to cry in a blanket burrito now.
Responder