Expanding A:T with characters new to the game

For anything related to Anima Tactics rules.
Responder
dunnoww

Expanding A:T with characters new to the game

Mensaje por dunnoww » 13 Jul 2018 14:40

Hey everyone,

if I remember correctly, there used to be a thread on the old Cipher forum for fanmade/original characters and their A:T stats but sadly, these are not available anymore. Are there any other records of A:BF characters (or completely original characters) fan-localized to A:T? It seems people are much more keen on coming up with A:BF stats for various characters but sadly, that's not really the case with A:T.

(On another note, although slightly offtopic, PWG also revealed stats for a couple of characters with a hint of a further update - have additional character cards ever been released?)

Thank you all in advance. :)
lizvne

Re: Expanding A:T with characters new to the game

Mensaje por lizvne » 16 Jul 2018 23:26

Thing is, considering AT is a skirmish game with a points limit per match, new characters will be automatically redundant. Well, as I see it, it was a reason of AT downfall:
1. Game limited to 300 points, and for some reason people avoid playing higher grades up to 600 points Omega.
2. 300 points are usually filled quite easily with 5-6 miniatures + some more reserve ones.
3. After you have what you can call perfect team, there is no need to purchase new miniatures. Unless new ones are considerably more powerful or offer some unusual abilities (like Adler for Empire, turning already the most accurate A5 CS+ICS faction to even greater heights).
3.1. Note should be taken, that some minis are so imbalanced and cornerstone, that they are almost mandatory, and very unlikely to be replaced. Things could be better if Cipher changed statblock instead of simple price cost changes, as they haven't help much in most grievous cases.

Now, how does it relates to a fan made character? Well, very simple, unless said character have rather imbalanced ability he will be as redundant as many other official ones.

Also, at Saga 3-4 each side (Except for Black Sun) had about 25 miniatures, that is already quite a lot, as number of available miniatures per game is limited to 5-6. and for comparison, in Warhammer one faction can have a choice of about 15 troops total not counting the heroes.

That's the reason most people don't bother with home-made stuff.

PS: To be useful, I also spent some time and managed to find the old threads in wayback mchine in case you need them:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130903094 ... pic=5866.0
Imagen
dunnoww

Mensaje por dunnoww » 17 Jul 2018 08:03

Thank you for the detailed and very helpful response! Yeah, it indeed might seem pointless to design a new character where you are only allowed to carry 5-6 characters from a 150+ pool. However, the WBM link you provided is extremely useful! I was also trying to do that in the past but I was not able to find these particular threads. Sadly, even WBM doesn't have the whole threads (both the old one and the newer one) fully archived, so if anyone happens to have them safely saved on their hard drive, please let me know. Thanks!
pulpcitizen

Mensaje por pulpcitizen » 28 Jul 2018 13:40

lizvne escribió:
16 Jul 2018 23:26
Thing is, considering AT is a skirmish game with a points limit per match, new characters will be automatically redundant. Well, as I see it, it was a reason of AT downfall:
1. Game limited to 300 points, and for some reason people avoid playing higher grades up to 600 points Omega.
2. 300 points are usually filled quite easily with 5-6 miniatures + some more reserve ones.
3. After you have what you can call perfect team, there is no need to purchase new miniatures. Unless new ones are considerably more powerful or offer some unusual abilities (like Adler for Empire, turning already the most accurate A5 CS+ICS faction to even greater heights).
3.1. Note should be taken, that some minis are so imbalanced and cornerstone, that they are almost mandatory, and very unlikely to be replaced. Things could be better if Cipher changed statblock instead of simple price cost changes, as they haven't help much in most grievous cases.

Now, how does it relates to a fan made character? Well, very simple, unless said character have rather imbalanced ability he will be as redundant as many other official ones.

Also, at Saga 3-4 each side (Except for Black Sun) had about 25 miniatures, that is already quite a lot, as number of available miniatures per game is limited to 5-6. and for comparison, in Warhammer one faction can have a choice of about 15 troops total not counting the heroes.

That's the reason most people don't bother with home-made stuff.

PS: To be useful, I also spent some time and managed to find the old threads in wayback mchine in case you need them:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130903094 ... pic=5866.0
Very well put lizvne.
Responder