Homebrewd Wear Armor, got some of that sweet feedback?

A place to create your own rules and elements.
Tyhuji

Homebrewd Wear Armor, got some of that sweet feedback?

Mensaje por Tyhuji » 10 Mar 2017 03:38

I have been playing around with a way to replace the Wear armor ability for a moment and with my table we found a little something. I wonder what you guys think about it and if you think it makes wear armor easier to get but still an investment.

Here we go: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SFh ... sp=sharing

My main problems are : the soft and hard armor modules, if the maths is good (now the main armor wearing classes can buy wear armor at a better ratio) and if the cost for the classes is correct (should it cost 15 for the technician? should it cost less for the shadow? etc)
Maxwell

Re: Homebrewd Wear Armor, got some of that sweet feedback?

Mensaje por Maxwell » 10 Mar 2017 16:36

The way you planned it seems nice, works just about the same as hp multipliers. but my issue with wear armor is that someone wanting to be armored will fall behind the group when it comes to actual atk/dodge stats.

I found that in the games i run people rarely took wear armor because of the need of having higher atk/dodge stats to not die. One way i found to work around this is offer it as a secondary skill insted using the same ratio as their class primary.

It may not have been the most clean solution to the problem but now my players use armors insted of going in battle and praying to not get hit at all.
Tyhuji

Mensaje por Tyhuji » 10 Mar 2017 17:35

Just wondering, do you respect the limit of 50% DP in attack and defense? Because with the fighter classes you should still have 10% of your DP for some wear armor and stuff.
Superhero

Mensaje por Superhero » 10 Mar 2017 18:01

with the 50% limit...there are always some left over DP. I mean yeah, you could spend it to get more MK but heh, any classes with wear armor bonuses just need a minimal investment in it.

Quite honestly when it comes to wear armor, it usually goes two ways:
-Someone doesn't take it at all.
-Someone invest a lot in it to wear the heavy armor.

The armor in the middle rarely get used quite honestly. Overall, it's okay but heh...wear armor just works fine.
Saurok

Mensaje por Saurok » 10 Mar 2017 18:24

Don't forget that Use of Armor advantage gives you +5 Wear Armor per level, another way to get the needed skill to wear most light / medium armor, leaving the heavier stuff for those who want to spend the DP.

Making Wear Armor skill part of secondary skills (so it can be leveled with non-combat DP) just breaks the whole balance of armor in the game and it is generally a poor choice (IMHO). Protections are huge stat at low levels where armor penetration is not that common. 3 AT is often as good or better than +30 to defense when it comes to tanking hits.
Tyhuji

Mensaje por Tyhuji » 10 Mar 2017 18:55

I think in the current state of the game, wear armor is just really bad. It's normal to be outclassed by magic and psy but they are getting outclassed and they have huge penalties. And the only class really able to wear armors is the weapon master. I just felt like making it easier to wear armors for everyone was necessary. And the way I've made my system it's still a pretty big investment.
Saurok

Mensaje por Saurok » 10 Mar 2017 22:25

This house rule is by no means bad, in fact this one is pretty decent when it comes to house rules. However wear armor should not be made equal to supernatural means of protection (which this does not do).

Armors from Breastplate and beyond give good protection that is more than enough to cause serious headache for most physical damage dealing characters (unless they start to aim to unprotected locations). As long as character is not facing weapons with base damage above 100, armors are great as they giving more protection than raw defense ability.

I've habit of making some more combat oriented wizards and mentalists to buy Wear Armor with their Combat DP, just to get enough to wear Breastplates and Partial Plate, no need to invest their supernatural resources to protection.
Paintrout

Mensaje por Paintrout » 10 Mar 2017 22:28

Sure armor is not as good if good at all against magic, but I don't think it's supposed to be. Most fights are usually (or atleast in my experience) fought with normal weapons and unless you are bringing big weapon with you, those armors are going to be a real pain.

For example: Let's say we have our guy Jorge who is dual wielding two long swords with STR 8. He is level 2 acrobatic warrior and used his excess combat dp to buy all that neat MK and boosted his damage by +20 with ki powers for total of 80 damage.
Now let's take Burly who is warrior of same level who used his dp for wear armor and is able to use Partial Plate.
Jorge is going to have hell of a time trying to chew trough that partial plate with regular attacks since he is going to lose 40 damage on each successful hit (or 20 if he decided to take elemental attack and use that with -10 attack).

It all depends on the armor that is being used what damage types are in the fight and so on. I think armor does it job well in any normal melee fight and would not personally make wear armor any easier to get, partly because it's not that hard to get enough wear armor for Partial Plate which one of the well rounded armors.
If a player wants to wear armor, he is going to do that even if he has to use certain amount of dp and/or advantages for that. Even if wear armor was easier to get, some will still choose not to because that doesn't fit them in way or another.
Tyhuji

Mensaje por Tyhuji » 11 Mar 2017 00:14

It may be because I've played in higher supernatural levels and at higher levels, but armor was almost worthless. Usually people had just enough to wear a +5 or +10 O Yoroi...
Superhero

Mensaje por Superhero » 11 Mar 2017 01:33

Quality Armor is always fairly useful after awhile, people have a hard time even getting through the armor, even if they have +10 weapons or +15 (-2 or -3 AT out of 8-9 AT is okay but barely make a dent in some heavy armor people). Of course, the armor focused persons need to get their hands on artifacts armor...which varies from campaign to campaign to get energy protection on top of it.

There are of course, ki techniques and powers to ignore armor but well in most cases, heavy armor characters have enough defenses to make fight last forever.

Heavy field plate characters with shields and slow weapons have received some nice tools: Use Anticipate surprise maneuver to negate surprise (what your initiative is -50? doesn't matter use anticipate surprise to keep up with someone with 200 initiative) , you have a lot of strength? Use it to decrease the speed penalty of your slow weapon.

Anyway, all to say it used to be pretty bad but quite honestly the options nowadays, do allow these kinds of characters with minimum investment.
Responder