Random Questions Thread

For anything related to RPG rules from the Anima Beyond Fantasy books.
Kushala

Re: Random Questions Thread

Mensaje por Kushala » 28 Ene 2017 17:25

I'm pretty sure it would be 6, I find it hard to believe that Magic Accumulation would allow you to multiply the base while Ki Accumulation doesn't.

On top of that I'm not sure it would be possible to use any of the more powerful Ki Techniques during a battle if you could only add one point at a time, either because you haven't been able to build up a big enough Ki pool to use it or you just can't gather enough in time to do so.
Sharpandpointies

Mensaje por Sharpandpointies » 28 Ene 2017 17:32

It's not a multiplier, it's additive (so '4' is the correct answer, here). If it were not, it would be ridiculously easy for low-level people to have values of 6, 8, 9, etc.

Rules, Page 32: Ki Accumulation: Investing this number of DPs, the player adds one point to the Ki Accumulation of a characteristic.

Ki accumulation is pretty tactical. It can be increased with gifts (and most Technicians seem to purchase Full Accumulation), Fatigue Spent (1 point = +1 to all of them for the round). Making up the Dominion Techs can be pretty tactical as well, working out what to set up, what can be afforded (a Tier III technique that takes a person 6 rounds to use at low level is useless for them now, but might be useful later when they are higher level and have enough accumulation to bust it out in 3 or so rounds), where to reduce Ki cost, etc.
"But something like Guy-With-A-Zombie being saved by Bob the Zombie getting in the way while I Will Always Love You plays in the background... That I would not allow."
- Blues
Superhero

Mensaje por Superhero » 28 Ene 2017 17:34

Ki accumulation multiple is indeed a misnomer...its literally just add +1.
Kushala

Mensaje por Kushala » 29 Ene 2017 07:37

That seems rather low to me, though I suppose it doesn't help that my friends and I tend to play reasonably high power games of Anima. I'm just trying to figure out how you would ever be able to use some of the Lvl3 Techs during a battle.

Granted I don't expect anyone to use a Lvl3 tech more than once in a battle, but what level would you aim for learning them? And how do you build to afford to do them reliably in either ki costs or accumulation?
lizvne

Mensaje por lizvne » 29 Ene 2017 09:00

First of all it depends on your class, second of Technique in question.
Anyway the way to build technics user is:
1. Your Number one stat is Constitution. It gives Fatigue, which is with Use of the Necessary Energy provides up to extra 5 points boost in the first round.
1.1. If you have tireless or something like that you can continue to pump fatigue in second round.
2. Try to use about 4 stats in a technique, as Fatigue spent increases all accumulations.
3. After figuring cost of your technique check whether you can use it on 3rd round. If yes, then proceed.
3.1. If not, check is it a Finisher technique that will kill almost every reasonable opponent. If yes check can you activate it at round 5-6. If any of the answers is No then leave this technique be until you receive more levels.
Imagen
Fearless Elbow

Mensaje por Fearless Elbow » 29 Ene 2017 09:49

Y'know, I've created quite a lot of techniques over the years, and it never occurred to me until you said that, lizvne, how useful CON is for Technicians. I'm embarrassed to say I've always kinda treated it as almost a dump-stat.
Tyr Hawk

Mensaje por Tyr Hawk » 29 Ene 2017 17:17

Fearless Elbow escribió:Y'know, I've created quite a lot of techniques over the years, and it never occurred to me until you said that, lizvne, how useful CON is for Technicians. I'm embarrassed to say I've always kinda treated it as almost a dump-stat.
I feel the same way. I always forget about that particular use for Fatigue, so it just never occurred to me that a Technician could/should want it. XD

Just goes to show you, no matter how deep one goes, there's always an unexplored path in the rabbit hole that is Anima.

Also, just to point it out, most Level 3 Techniques that you see pre-built are spreading their ki cost out over 3-5 stats, and so they typically never get above 15 per stat (with a few exceptions, of course). But that means all you need is 5 Accumulation in those particular stats to be able to accumulate for those techniques in a few rounds (and even 4 will do in a pinch), which is actually not that hard to get (not just as Liz demonstrates, but like... just in general for some classes) by the time you're gonna be regularly using Level 3 Techniques. Level 3 techniques are often meant to be one use per battle, because they're often powerful-enough to end a battle upon activation.

Because, let's be honest, how often are you really gonna need Storm Waltz a second time in a fight?
Devil's Advocate Extraordinaire.
"Just because I can argue for it, doesn't mean I agree with it."
This signature not intended as medical advice.
Kushala

Mensaje por Kushala » 29 Ene 2017 23:48

I suppose I'm used to building ki technique trees using 3 stats, just seems as if you need to spread yourself rather thin on points otherwise. But now I'm just rehashing things so I'll stop here, sit down and try to build some keeping this in mind, or homerule it to be multiplied instead and see how it goes for a while.

Thanks for the clearing up of it for me.
lizvne

Mensaje por lizvne » 30 Ene 2017 02:27

Tyr Hawk escribió:But that means all you need is 5 Accumulation in those particular stats to be able to accumulate for those techniques in a few rounds (and even 4 will do in a pinch), which is actually not that hard to get
Well, actually it is. Let's assume we want to perform Lv 3 tech with four stats requiring 15 points accumulated each. Also let's assume, that generous GM/dice rolls/etc provided us with two 10 stats and we are going to use them in accumulations. That means our accumulations are like 2/2/1/1. Now, to bring them to 5/5/5/5 we have to spend 140 DP (assuming we are technician, which is by default for me, as we are speaking about Lv 3 tech). Assuming, again, that we are not willing to cripple our basic Attack/Defence (which are already are not the top unless we have Combat Sense), we'll max them what, in turn, means, we have such values at Lv 8. Problem is, our Dominion pool is about 50 (+-, depending on stats but in average 50 assuming generous stats) which means that this technique is out of our reach, so we have to add 20 more points, that is two more levels, so we have 70 and able to use this technique and still keep 10 points left to avoid Low Levels penalties. That's Lv 10 now.

Of course we can cripple our Attack/Defence in favour of Accumulations/pool, but since technician is a class with 5 lp per level and 0 block/dodge without Combat Sense I'd strongly advise to avoid it.

Other route, probably the only one I haven't explored in Technician class, is to go Predetermined techniques way. I hope someone who tested them will shed light on the mater.
Imagen
Tyr Hawk

Mensaje por Tyr Hawk » 30 Ene 2017 03:10

lizvne escribió:
Tyr Hawk escribió:But that means all you need is 5 Accumulation in those particular stats to be able to accumulate for those techniques in a few rounds (and even 4 will do in a pinch), which is actually not that hard to get
Well, actually it is.
Well, yes and no. You make some good points about how a standard approach might go, but Technicians can afford to "cripple" (which is (in my opinion) a really strong word to use unless you're in a highly optimized game) their Attack/Defense a bit because of the bonuses they can get from their techniques. If sacrificing 20 Defense means you can get off and maintain a +25 Defense technique through the entirety of pretty much any battle, or one which allows you to make maneuvers at half penalty (removing a larger penalty than the 20 Attack you're missing), or one that does both then doing so seems worthwhile, no? You're still slightly above your normal level competency while technically having reduced your base numbers. It's the same thing that Tao run into with gaining martial arts. You can sacrifice a little to gain a little more. Maybe not every time, but it can be done reliably.

But this all assumes that attack/defense raw numbers are your goal, and not other combat strategies like using camouflaged techniques or hammering your enemies with penalty-free multi-attacks (stacking their defensive penalties to more than overcome your initial deficiencies). Yes, the straight number superiority will get you there most-reliably in, arguably, most situations, but if your fights are always on even ground then there's something a little odd about that (in my opinion). ;) All's fair in love and Anima combat scenarios, right?

In short, it's as easy as your campaign allows, and though how easy getting 5 in several accumulations does depend a bit on stat generation (because if you get high stats you can also bump up those ki and accumulation pools), it's not really that difficult to do in a pretty standard game (well... what I would call a standard game, which would be a bit high-powered by, say, Sharps's standards, from what I've read).

Also, predetermined stuff pretty much allows you to forget one or more of your abilities/stats entirely, which is why I tend to never use it, but I've seen it in the past and man... it can be brutal.
Devil's Advocate Extraordinaire.
"Just because I can argue for it, doesn't mean I agree with it."
This signature not intended as medical advice.
Responder