Random Questions Thread

For anything related to RPG rules from the Anima Beyond Fantasy books.
SlayerRequiem

Re: Random Questions Thread

Mensaje por SlayerRequiem » 07 Ago 2017 02:44

There is a chart about movement over time, and it comes up with jogging, running, and spiriting. If jogging is MV -2, Running -1, and Sprinting = MV, then anything MV <=-3 should be "walking" speed, since it requires no real effort to perform. (I may be a touch off on the exact numbers, I just know there is the chart about it.) I do like the speed chart mentioned above, so either one works.
Kushala

Mensaje por Kushala » 16 Ago 2017 23:34

Hey guys, just got a couple of questions for the board here.

1. If you were to throw a character at another character, how would you calculate the damage that is dealt for the attack?
2. In regards to predetermined projection for magic, is there anything listing how it interacts with maintaining a spell?
a.Does it need the extra zeon to spent every turn to keep the projection value?
b.Does it erode down over time? If boosted with fatigue initially does it erode down to the predetermined value?
3. How do you handle predetermined attack/defense without just making the characters magic/ki just not function? Got a player that is using it for his magic and he's kinda been hard to handle with it, though thankfully he hasn't just been overwhelming and killing everything alone, he has shared it around but breaking defenses and buffing allies rather that just killing everything himself.
sarataipepe

Mensaje por sarataipepe » 17 Ago 2017 19:27

1. As improvised weapon
2. Simple, it remains always at the predetermined value
a. Not that I know
B. As far as the rules says, it cannot be modified, the final value remains the same and no bonus can be added.
3. Is not really overpowered, since they cannot open roll. Since every 1/10 of attacks end up in one, at some point it will fail (remember that predetermined attack/defenses do not add any dice roll to the final score)
BÅT

Mensaje por BÅT » 18 Ago 2017 07:00

Regarding the Predetermined Magic Projection:
In my campaigns, we've found that if you forego buying Magic Projection altogether, and instead just get the Predetermined Magic Projection spheres, the character becomes a bit too powerful in our taste, as soon as he reaches around level 5-ish.

This is because even if his defined value achieved will not be terribly large (but still well above an average roll) he can still be perfectly viable in combat, and at the same time he could choose not to get involved in combat and throw the most ridiculous of spells. He becomes like two character concepts in one: he can play both a viable combat mage, and a devastating high-MA, high-Zeon utility beast. Not terribly OP, so we made a smaller change to Defined Magic Projection:

If you use it to gain a Final Magic Projection more than 100 higher than you own Magic Projection, the Zeon cost is doubled. (We've done the same for Predetermined ATK/DEF Ki Techniques, but there we simply add the Secondary Column's cost again to the Ki cost)

As Defined Magic Projection is not THAT powerful, its not a house-rule for everyone. But if it bothers the dynamics of the table I suggest this approach. Especially for Ki users (they have a strange power-growth curve were they suck at high levels and can play like minor deities at low levels, since they have no level-limit on the predetermined values they can achieve like wizards do).
Banthor

Mensaje por Banthor » 18 Ago 2017 22:48

BÅT escribió:Regarding the Predetermined Magic Projection:
In my campaigns, we've found that if you forego buying Magic Projection altogether, and instead just get the Predetermined Magic Projection spheres, the character becomes a bit too powerful in our taste, as soon as he reaches around level 5-ish.

This is because even if his defined value achieved will not be terribly large (but still well above an average roll) he can still be perfectly viable in combat, and at the same time he could choose not to get involved in combat and throw the most ridiculous of spells. He becomes like two character concepts in one: he can play both a viable combat mage, and a devastating high-MA, high-Zeon utility beast. Not terribly OP, so we made a smaller change to Defined Magic Projection:

If you use it to gain a Final Magic Projection more than 100 higher than you own Magic Projection, the Zeon cost is doubled. (We've done the same for Predetermined ATK/DEF Ki Techniques, but there we simply add the Secondary Column's cost again to the Ki cost)

As Defined Magic Projection is not THAT powerful, its not a house-rule for everyone. But if it bothers the dynamics of the table I suggest this approach. Especially for Ki users (they have a strange power-growth curve were they suck at high levels and can play like minor deities at low levels, since they have no level-limit on the predetermined values they can achieve like wizards do).
The book seems unclear on how Predetermined values work on multiple defenses (maybe I missed it). It feels mechanically wrong to simply have someone block//shield an attack for 320 or so, regardless of the amount of attacks, so I would be inclined to have the multiple defense penalties apply in cases of abuse.

I feel the spirit of Defined Magic Projection is giving the wizard the ability to use excessive zeon to FORCE through an important attack or effect that they cannot risk failing, not something to be used on a constant basis. However, I do agree that its not as powerful as it seems.
Gaia Volume 2 translation progress report : It's done. Want to cry in a blanket burrito now.
Tyr Hawk

Mensaje por Tyr Hawk » 20 Ago 2017 22:22

sarataipepe escribió:Since every 1/10 of attacks end up in one, at some point it will fail (remember that predetermined attack/defenses do not add any dice roll to the final score)
This is true, but open rolls don't really change the averages. On average, your dice roll adds 55 points (before Mastery) to whatever your relevant ability is. Without open rolls, you'd be a little below 50 (Unlucky Destiny takers, there you go). So, if the predetermined value is higher than 55 points above the average/maximized score (depending on who you're playing against and comparing folks to), then the Predetermined character has the advantage. I once did some math on it, but I can no longer find those numbers at the lower levels. It ends up being pretty stunning for a while.

But that's just maths. In actual games, a character might never see an open roll even after 100 rolls, or you might only get one roll because 3-5% of the time you get fumbles, and if you fumble against a predetermined value you might be dead so... yeah. It's a thing.

I'll let ya'll discuss the rest, just wanted to chime in with some math.
Devil's Advocate Extraordinaire.
"Just because I can argue for it, doesn't mean I agree with it."
This signature not intended as medical advice.
Kushala

Mensaje por Kushala » 22 Ago 2017 07:19

Well at this point in the campaign they're level 7 so are only now getting around the 200 mark for attack/defense, though this will be changing quite rapidly soon. The campaign they're in is high level gain so they should hopefully close that gap a bit, at least until he gets the 440 one. Just makes balancing the boss fights a bit hard at the moment since I want them to be a challenge for the the whole party rather than just have constant gimmicks to counter magic only.

Still we'll see how it goes from here.
Sharpandpointies

Mensaje por Sharpandpointies » 22 Ago 2017 14:12

Wizards who don't need to use wizardry to get stuff done (important on Gaia). Also, characters who shine socially.

Very useful, depending on the campaign. I mean, in a full-on combat game, dungeon-crawling and so forth, they probably end up being 'less useful' (which, honestly, shouldn't matter unless they fall into the category of 'completely useless'). But in a game where people are dealing with dark conspiracies, dangerous social issues, intrigue, competing name-level characters, etc...they can be pretty awesome.
"But something like Guy-With-A-Zombie being saved by Bob the Zombie getting in the way while I Will Always Love You plays in the background... That I would not allow."
- Blues
Banthor

Mensaje por Banthor » 22 Ago 2017 19:48

Kushala escribió:Well at this point in the campaign they're level 7 so are only now getting around the 200 mark for attack/defense, though this will be changing quite rapidly soon. The campaign they're in is high level gain so they should hopefully close that gap a bit, at least until he gets the 440 one. Just makes balancing the boss fights a bit hard at the moment since I want them to be a challenge for the the whole party rather than just have constant gimmicks to counter magic only.

Still we'll see how it goes from here.
In a case such as that it might be worth using Spiritual Barrier from Those Who Walked Amongst Us. Yeah it says there is a Gnosis 35 restriction but out of most of the monster creation powers I think this one should have been lower (Its probably high only to put it out of reach of players getting it) because its such a good tool for giving major combat encounters (aka boss fights) staying power if the GM is unsure of its ability to survive against parties with exceptional burst.
Gaia Volume 2 translation progress report : It's done. Want to cry in a blanket burrito now.
Rainbow

Mensaje por Rainbow » 01 Sep 2017 12:44

Can someone explain flight value to me? I don't see anything about it in the movement chapter, yet I see flight value mentioned everywhere. How does it work? Are there any pros/cons?
Responder