Random Questions Thread

For anything related to RPG rules from the Anima Beyond Fantasy books.
Magitek Knight

Random Questions Thread

Mensaje por Magitek Knight » 28 Dic 2016 17:26

Hi, all! Nice to have a new forum to discuss rules on! At one of the older forums (Cipher Studios) we had a thread called "Random Questions" that I thought I'd revive. In this thread you can post simpler questions that does not necessarily need its own topic.

I thought to start with a small question of my own: Can you extend psychic/magic shields that you have anchored/maintained on another person, or can you only extend those that are anchored/maintained on yourself? (Referring to p. 118 in Arcana Exxet) Also, what kind of action would doing this be?
Superhero

Re: Random Questions Thread

Mensaje por Superhero » 28 Dic 2016 17:58

Most of the defenses are passive actions, the caster can still control the shield after making it, so extending the shield to cover more people is a possibility as long as they are within range of the original target.
Anima Project

Mensaje por Anima Project » 03 Ene 2017 01:01

Just apply the rules explained in Arcana to cover people ^^
Ten

Mensaje por Ten » 04 Ene 2017 13:30

I have a simple question: What's the best way to combat against magical shields, besides using magic and psychic powers? I swear I recall seeing something under Creation of Beings to hit through shields or something else, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe I'm thinking energy attacks.
Superhero

Mensaje por Superhero » 04 Ene 2017 13:37

From the top of my head:
-Basic Lawgivers option (inquisitors weapons) do double or triple damage against supernatural shields, if you have it on your weapon.
-There is a ki technique or two, in the tech trees of dominus exxet, forgot the name of tech tree but its one about witch hunt/killing mages. But this could give you some inspiration to make your own.
-And of course reminder that the mages and psychics still need to beat an attack roll on their defense roll with magic projection or psychic projection. So boosting your attack roll to be relatively high is a good way to bypass it too.
Magitek Knight

Mensaje por Magitek Knight » 04 Ene 2017 13:55

Oh, oh, I know a pretty decent one! I once had a character that hated mages, so I made a shieldbreaker Ki Technique! I'm perhaps not very good at making techniques, but this one is good because you do not need to be a technician to use it, or even buy Ki.

Shieldbreaker, Lvl 1 technique, 20 MK, Str 3, Agi 3, Dex 3, Con 3, WP 3 (= 15 Ki total):
+2 Limited Additional Attacks
+25 Damage Augmentation (Multiple)
Throw in a -5 MK disadvantage, such as "only whatever weapon your character wields"

This one works best if you dual wield as well, and make as many attacks as possible. Perhaps even lower your attack value. If the purpose is to break the shield, then you don't actually want to hit! And throw in one or two fatigue for raising all your accumulations so you can get it going in a turn or two. Also, if your character only has 1 in all accumulations, then you can attack normally while slowly building this one up. Unfortunately, it won't work against Light/Darkness shields since they do not take damage from regular attacks.

Otherwise, lots of base damage and several attacks is generally the way to go.
EDIT: Also AT penetration (quality, enchantments) is good. Each AT penetration that the weapon has inflicts 10 LP damage extra on the shield (per attack).
Ten

Mensaje por Ten » 04 Ene 2017 14:09

Superhero escribió:From the top of my head:
-Basic Lawgivers option (inquisitors weapons) do double or triple damage against supernatural shields, if you have it on your weapon.
-There is a ki technique or two, in the tech trees of dominus exxet, forgot the name of tech tree but its one about witch hunt/killing mages. But this could give you some inspiration to make your own.
-And of course reminder that the mages and psychics still need to beat an attack roll on their defense roll with magic projection or psychic projection. So boosting your attack roll to be relatively high is a good way to bypass it too.
Ah, I think Lawgivers is what I originally saw. I'll check those out again along with some Ki abilities. They have to score higher than the attack roll with magic/psychic projection to activate their shield, right? Or can they still get it off if they take 10%-30% damage? I know you can smash through their attempted shield if there's a big enough margin, and if I recall correctly it's up to the GM to determine how many points their shield accumulated. I'm really rusty when it comes to magic projection off the top of my head.
Magitek Knight escribió:Oh, oh, I know a pretty decent one! I once had a character that hated mages, so I made a shieldbreaker Ki Technique! I'm perhaps not very good at making techniques, but this one is good because you do not need to be a technician to use it, or even buy Ki.

Shieldbreaker, Lvl 1 technique, 20 MK, Str 3, Agi 3, Dex 3, Con 3, WP 3 (= 15 Ki total):
+2 Limited Additional Attacks
+25 Damage Augmentation (Multiple)
Throw in a -5 MK disadvantage, such as "only whatever weapon your character wields"

This one works best if you dual wield as well, and make as many attacks as possible. Perhaps even lower your attack value. If the purpose is to break the shield, then you don't actually want to hit! And throw in one or two fatigue for raising all your accumulations so you can get it going in a turn or two. Also, if your character only has 1 in all accumulations, then you can attack normally while slowly building this one up. Unfortunately, it won't work against Light/Darkness shields since they do not take damage from regular attacks.

Otherwise, lots of base damage and several attacks is generally the way to go.
EDIT: Also AT penetration (quality, enchantments) is good. Each AT penetration that the weapon has inflicts 10 LP damage extra on the shield (per attack).
I'll have to try damage augmentation. Thank you for the reminder and nice Ki ability.
Superhero

Mensaje por Superhero » 04 Ene 2017 14:18

It's simple if they don't succeed on their defense roll with the supernatural shield, they basically get hit directly (no shield protection, so they take damage directly to their LP and whatever armor they have on, if any). By default Supernatural shields as a reminder always take base damage when they succeed at defending (if someone can do 60 damage with his longsword, mage shield would take 60 damage, not modified by anything from the attack if he succeeded in blocking.), Of course that's assuming the supernatural shield can even take damage from that source (Some shields specify that they can only be damaged by energy, so would need presence extrusion for ki users for example etc...) or some supernatural shields only protect against specific threat (mostly among psychic powers, like a lot of psychic supernatural shield don't protect against energy until higher potential rolls almost impossible, inhuman and above).
Magitek Knight

Mensaje por Magitek Knight » 04 Ene 2017 16:00

As Superhero said, shields take the base damage of the weapon if the mage/psychic successfully defends with the shield. As for what happens if they fail to defend, I think that the shield does not take any damage then, because it wasn't in the way of the attack.
Ten escribió: They have to score higher than the attack roll with magic/psychic projection to activate their shield, right? Or can they still get it off if they take 10%-30% damage?
Haven't double-checked the book, but I'm pretty sure that they first activate the shield as a passive action, and then tries to defend with it with another passive action. Regardless of how well they defend, they have already activated the shield, so it's up. Unless they fumble their Projection. If they fumble when they cast a spell then the spell is not cast at all, and they lose the zeon that would be used on said spell.
Ten

Mensaje por Ten » 05 Ene 2017 15:40

Ah, I guess I was overthinking it, or getting the rolls mixed up with something else.
Responder