Magic and Undead

For anything related to RPG rules from the Anima Beyond Fantasy books.
Responder
Leonard
Contactar:

Magic and Undead

Mensaje por Leonard » 07 Ago 2018 10:29

Greetings gentlemen

Today I bring forth to you a doubt about undeath.
Some necromancer spells allow you to raise undead npcs, some of them with the same level they had in life, but without a soul.

I know that:

-Undead with no soul= can’t use ki
-Undead with soul= can’t use ki, but can use nemesis

But... what about magic? Some undead monsters of the book, like the Lord of the Death, use magic, but it isn’t specified if they have or not a soul. As I understand it, magic in anima comes from your soul, so I guess undead people without one can’t use it. But it would be nice to know it for sure.

I guess if a psychic was raised as an undead, that wouldn’t be a problem because psychic powers rest within the mind. Magic is what confounds me.

Thanks a lot =)
"I am sure we can reach a mutually beneficial agreement. After all, you have no use for an old relic like that" Erith Olson, Black Sun Smuggler
Superhero

Re: Magic and Undead

Mensaje por Superhero » 08 Ago 2018 15:14

Undead can use magic. There is nothing preventing them from not using magic. Undead can even use summoning, that's one of the only way to summon undead actually, beside having an unique gnosis power or something.
Doragon

Mensaje por Doragon » 08 Ago 2018 15:30

Hello!

In Anima magic is indeed linked to the soul and having the Gift means that your soul is able not only to absorb magic in the environment but also controlling it. So no soul, no magic.

But the lore isn't very clear about what could be considered a "proper" soul to use magic. The spell you speak of is level 82 of the Necromancy book right? I have the books in french so I don't know its name in english.

The description states that the creature being risen keeps all his faculties so I think that concerns magic too. Even if the arisen creature is said to have "no true soul" I believe it has enough to use magic. Otherwise it wouldn't be "fair" in regard of Ki and Psychic powers.

Let's keep in mind that this spell is from High Magic, so it is a superior reanimation comparing to the level 28 zombification. The goal of this spell should be to rise powerful undead from powerful individuals.

Finally, concerning undead using magic like the Lord of the Death, my theory is that all superior undead (powerful ones with some kind of a personality of their own) can be considered to have at least some remnants of a soul, allowing them to use magic or nemesis.
lizvne

Mensaje por lizvne » 09 Ago 2018 11:21

To be short, any intelligent undead in theory can have Gift and thus can use magic, same as with Nemesis.
Imagen
Banthor

Mensaje por Banthor » 09 Ago 2018 23:07

lizvne escribió:
09 Ago 2018 11:21
To be short, any intelligent undead in theory can have Gift and thus can use magic, same as with Nemesis.
Pretty much this. If I recall correctly, Necromancy is stated as a perversion of magic so I'd imagine anything created with it would defy the normal rules of magic. At least that is what I take from it.
Gaia Volume 2 translation progress report : It's done. Want to cry in a blanket burrito now.
Leonard
Contactar:

Mensaje por Leonard » 10 Ago 2018 12:36

Thank you a lot for the answers! they were really helpful =)
"I am sure we can reach a mutually beneficial agreement. After all, you have no use for an old relic like that" Erith Olson, Black Sun Smuggler
Responder