Typos and conflicting info

For elements related to the world of Gaïa and its mysteries.
lizvne

Re: Typos and conflicting info

Mensaje por lizvne » 12 Jul 2018 10:07

Well, considering Abel Empire have rather interesting traditions of naming Arbiters (Alastor, Belphegor, and some more) and 7th Heaven Knights (Lilith, Tiamat) I can believe that Druaga-the-former-lord-of-war had some more civil name before and was awarded the Druaga name upon becoming the Arbiter.

Anyway I agree with you, it would be nice to have justifications explained in books rather than guess is it some mistake or Lilith is simply common name in Gaia.
Imagen
Superhero

Mensaje por Superhero » 12 Jul 2018 12:11

It's a rather common Anima tradition:

Anne (the new conclave), Anne (GoM) they aren't related but they do share the same name.

There is apparently a Godkiller named Rhadamantis and a Jurgand agent named Rhadamantis as well. One of them has stolen an artifact relatively recently in Gaia while the other all we know has been stuck in an interreign for a long time now.

I probably could find more, if I look around but well, just to say when people essentially can live almost forever, not too surprising if they meet people with the same name as them.
dunnoww

Mensaje por dunnoww » 12 Jul 2018 15:00

Superhero escribió:
12 Jul 2018 12:11
Anne (the new conclave), Anne (GoM) they aren't related but they do share the same name.
Not to mention Anne Fatima from A:G1. To be honest, in case of people it's pretty much justified as characters most likely have different surnames just like in real life and, in some cases, these are just codenames anyway. However, in case of objects/weapons/locations, it's much more jarring.
lizvne

Mensaje por lizvne » 12 Jul 2018 19:57

dunnoww escribió:
12 Jul 2018 15:00
Anne Fatima from A:G1
She is from the new conclave, you are talking about the same character =)
Imagen
Artorian Runaan

Mensaje por Artorian Runaan » 12 Jul 2018 20:48

The name for the High Inquisitor (Who is secretly a Godkiller) and the Jürgand agent stuck in Theresia is spelled "Radamantis", no h. Just a minor correction there :)

Kaine should just be Kaine. The map and the Togarini Gaia I entry have it written as that.

For Etheldrea, GoM Nameless Chronicles is the most recent piece of media and it spells her name without the l at the beginning.

Pristina is just Pristina, I'm not sure what map has it set as "Pristinia", but that's an extra i at the end.

For Dereck, I'm pretty sure his last name is Shezzard,
dunnoww

Mensaje por dunnoww » 12 Jul 2018 21:01

Artorian Runaan escribió:
12 Jul 2018 20:48
Pristina is just Pristina, I'm not sure what map has it set as "Pristinia", but that's an extra i at the end.

Compare here vs here vs here vs here (although case can be made it's a translation issue as only French materials seem to have the additional 'i'). Estygia also had this issue: Estygia EN, Estigia ES, Stygia FR.
Artorian Runaan

Mensaje por Artorian Runaan » 12 Jul 2018 21:13

The original Spanish is just "Pristina"... but after checking the FFG core book English translation, it looks like both the English version and the French version have it set as "Pristinia". Not sure why that's a change at all. I'm going to vote for "Pristina" since it's original lol.

I'd go with the same for Estigia too, just take the Spanish original. The other two are needlessly altered.
Superhero

Mensaje por Superhero » 12 Jul 2018 21:32

Pronunciation is also a factor, sometime when you see some different names. While not perfect, translating a name by altering a letter or two, make it easier on some native speakers to have a name somewhat close to the original or easier to enunciate. In general, I don't mind some names slightly altered to fit the audience.
Artorian Runaan

Mensaje por Artorian Runaan » 12 Jul 2018 21:35

That's true, but Pristina and Estigia are not complicated words by far, at least in English. There isn't any trouble in pronouncing them for anyone who paid attention in middle school.

I have no idea about the French side of things though.
Superhero

Mensaje por Superhero » 12 Jul 2018 21:42

Spanish and French are kind of close when it comes the spelling of words, even the grammar structure but they still have some differences. So some words don't sound the same when written in their Spanish version vs French version, so understandable why some names would be changed.
Responder