Marks of the Shajads

For elements related to the world of Gaïa and its mysteries.
TheMunkis

Marks of the Shajads

Mensaje por TheMunkis » 07 Jun 2018 13:09

"There are certain creatures that are also able to grant their powers to invokers. These are generally called the Great Beasts or Aeons. They are powerful entities that don't have enough Gnosis to grant Elan, but who attract agents and followers by allowing them to use the entity's abilities."

My understanding of Great Beasts is that they are just the term for unique high-gnosis monsters. And if that is all that it takes to make pacts and grant invocations, I feel there are a lot of creatures throughout the books that have unstatted invocations a GM could create. But that's not entirely why I created this topic.

Bael from Anima Tactics has some interesting powers. She is a powerful spellcaster, who specializes in curses and dark magic. Most notably, she knows how to use the Marks of the Shajads: seven powerful arcane spells that distort the essence of her adversaries.

Now this intrigued me, because there's no information of anything like this in the books. Their powers don't seem to align with any Elan Gifts, but the magic system we have in the game don't really seem to support these powers either. If they were spells, then there's simply seven (probably fourteen) Free Access spells of a high level that are not written in the book and probably would follow different rules.

Thus I figured it might be Invocations granted by the Shajads. If any Great Beast can grant invocations, why not the Shajads and Beryls (other than probably the pact)? It's not quite what the book described, but the book is kinda vague. What do the rest of you think those spells could be? Their powers seem to all be Effect Spell debuffs by the looks of it. Do you think there could be Marks of the Beryls too, and what would they be?
Superhero

Re: Marks of the Shajads

Mensaje por Superhero » 08 Jun 2018 02:53

You have to understand that in Anima Beyond Fantasy...nearly 99% of all npcs have unique powers aka there aren't specific mechanics for them. Dramatis Personae, and the Perfect World Guide are basically perfect examples of those. Some people even thoughts some abilities were exaggeration but the perfect world guide, essentially proved that they all have abilities that you can barely guess.

While I understand some people end up frustrated trying to understand it...most npcs gain powers in so many various circumstances in the world of Gaia, that there isn't one size fit all.
TheMunkis

Mensaje por TheMunkis » 09 Jun 2018 03:15

I'm well aware, but even if this would be unique abilities created for her, the text implies that the Marks of the Shajads are spells that someone else could theoretically learn too. It says she has learned to use the spells, so she must have learned it from somewhere. And even if we just chalk it up to being a unique ability to her character that nobody else could ever hope to acquire, that's a rather boring interpretation which neither explains what these powerful spells could be, nor gives options for GMs or players interested in it.

I was mostly speculating about what those spells are in-universe. Could be some kinds of ritual that could be quickly performed, but other than that the closest thing to a "spell" that would fall under the rules and systems we have right now is invocations. And I figured that if any being with high enough gnosis can grant pacts for invocations, then why not the 14+2?
Superhero

Mensaje por Superhero » 09 Jun 2018 04:37

You can do it however you want really.

You can even use spells that are already in the game. There are many spells that have effects similar to those seals.

Essentially you have multiple options:

-As a half-demon Bael, it could simply be a Bael monster powers, so those are relatively easy to make.
-Spells, easiest way to do it is simply to look at spells that have the same effects and swap/switch names.
-It could also be Gnosis powers, since she is definitely a between world being.

As for invocations, fluff wise, I seem to recall that Bael was never mentioned as being a summoner or even any abilities have her being some kind of a summoner. She is most likely a wizard.

Of course you could interpret her as a Warlock, if you go the Warlock route, you could even interpret the marks as ki techniques instead of the above effects.

Spells or Monster powers seem like the most likely scenario to me in general.
lizvne

Mensaje por lizvne » 10 Jun 2018 23:56

Superhero escribió:
09 Jun 2018 04:37
As for invocations, fluff wise, I seem to recall that Bael was never mentioned as being a summoner or even any abilities have her being some kind of a summoner. She is most likely a wizard.
She is stated to be a Wizard in AT Rulebook.
Imagen
Superhero

Mensaje por Superhero » 11 Jun 2018 04:59

lizvne escribió:
10 Jun 2018 23:56
Superhero escribió:
09 Jun 2018 04:37
She is stated to be a Wizard in AT Rulebook.
That does solve it, thanks for reminding me, looking back at the Anima Tactics information:

Bael is a Wizard level 7.

She is between an archmage and master wizard in the default setting.

So she has least 60 magic levels in one path up and less than 80 magic levels.

Let's put her at 75 magic levels in one path because why not:

I would simply do this for Bael if I went the magic route:

Darkness 75, subpath: Sin

Darkness blast = dark beam for Bael
Mark of Erebus = Pride spell
Mark of Noah = Anger spell
Mark of Jedah = Paralysis universal spell, just another name for it.
TheMunkis

Mensaje por TheMunkis » 11 Jun 2018 23:02

That does solve it. I'm a bit sad there's nothing else about it. Would be really interested in some 14+2 related unique magic and what origin such spells would have, but thanks for your suggestion and help!
SuperVillain

Mensaje por SuperVillain » 11 Abr 2019 06:39

In a recent interview with Carlos we finally got some new information about the marks. Aparently they are something called Elan Curses, wich will be introduced in a future book (Between light and darkness).
Responder